Our Marriage Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Addison Kate's Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Ava Elizabeth's Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hush, Little Baby

When I am putting Addison to bed, I always sing "Hush, Little Baby" to her. I had to go online to look up the lyrics when I first started singing it because the only part I knew was "Hush, Little Baby, don't you cry Mommy's going to sing you a lullabye" and something about a mocking bird that won't sing and a diamond ring. Well, here's what I found online:

Hush, little baby, don't say a word.
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's going to buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's going to buy you a horse and cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.

After I found these lyrics, I started singing it the right way (except I say great, big goat instead of billy goat because it just flows better). Jordan has heard me sing it several times and he will just snicker while I'm singing it. I am not a great singer, so I thought maybe he was laughing at my voice, but then I noticed it was just at certain parts of the song. One night after I put Addison to bed, I came back down stairs and asked Jordan what he thought was so funny. He was laughing at the lyrics and told me that I sure came up funny lyrics. I told him to look up the lyrics and that they were stupid, but that's how the song goes. We never looked them up then, but a few nights later, Kyla was at our house and I was singing to Addison again while they were both laughing at me. Jordan tells Kyla, "She sure is going to buy Addison some weird stuff..." Well, then I got tickled and couldn't even sing to her anymore (She was mostly asleep, so I went ahead and put her to bed). I once again argued my point, but I still don't think he believed me.
So,here Jordan, this is the link to the lyrics (as seen above) to "Hush, Little Baby". No, I am not making them up.

I love to sing to Addison, by the way. I mainly just make up little songs (which is a valid reason for Jordan to think I was making up the hush little baby lyrics, but really, would I make up something about a "cart and bull" or a "horse and cart"?? Come on...Why would I buy those for her? More like cute dresses and dolls...Maybe I will make up some more lyrics... :) ha ha.) and she'll just look up at me. It's one of those sweet, intimate things that is between just the two of us. I've never loved anything more!!

1 comment:

  1. My stepmom and I used to sing that song to my little brother until he was old enough to sing it with us. We knew the real words (so silly) but we used to just make stuff up as we went along! We "bought" some pretty crazy things in our version of the song!!

    ReplyDelete